Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Spring has SPRUNG!!

Wow, what a beautiful day here in Ohio.  Makes me want to lay outside in the sun.  Not only am I enjoying this nice sunny weather but so are the Chickens.  They are not going to pass up a chance to get a nice DUST bath in for the day.  Yes, I said dust bath. It may sound a bit ironic but chickens take dust baths to stay clean and mite/lice free.  Basically they attempt to bury themselves as much as possible by flapping their wings and scratching their feet in the dirt.  Then once they are done with the dusting they stand up and shake and flap till all the dust comes off.  After you watch the video you are probably thinking... there is no way that white chicken will be white after rolling in all that dirt???  However I promise you if I was to take a picture of that same chicken later today you would have no clue she doused herself in dirt earlier today!!


Tomorrow's project... Electrified poultry netting for the chickens because yes it is gardening season and last year they had their way with it. NOT this year!!! I did not even get one cantaloupe last year because of my feathered friends.  So much to my disappointment I have to rope'em in for a bit.  That being said I am giving them more than enough space to roam about outside to eat their bugs and grass.

Have a GREAT day and if it is nice in your part of the WORLD (yes I have readers from around the world) GET OUTSIDE!!!!

Happy SPRING!!!

1 comment:

  1. Very cute video. Grew up around chickens for 18 years and never knew what you just posted.

    ReplyDelete