Wednesday, June 12, 2013

It's been tooooo Long!!

I know, I know...It has been forever since I have been on here. Trust me I have been thinking about writing this for over a week.  Things around here are definitely ramping up!!! Let me start off with yesterday and go backwards... it just sounds more fun.

Yesterday we went to the Amish Produce Auction which is one of my favorite things especially during the summer.  We went today for the first time this year so I wasn't sure how much they would be selling.  But don't fret we still came home with a car load.  And it only gets better as the growing season continues.  Our loot today was strawberries (for jam, smoothies, and lemonade), cheddar cauliflower (just to try it), Raw Honey, Marigolds (for garden pests), and six different flats of plants for the garden. The story is tooooo long on how we ended up with six flats of plants but I will tell you what varieties ended up in the car.  Kohlrabi, purple kohlrabi, cantaloupe, watermelon, and cucumber.  I guess we better make room in the garden. Oh wait, it's pretty much full!!!!????!!! Hmmmmm, decisions, decisions.


After our spending spree on strawberries we decided we better get busy making something.  We decided to make Low Sugar Strawberry Jam using only pectin, raw honey, and strawberries.  It turned out perfect and Delish!!! I have to give a shout out to Amanda M. for inspiring me to make my first batch!!




Speaking of gardening everything is moving right along.  We have everything in (except what we just bought) and we even have all our tomato plants staked and ready to go.  I will have to post some photos of the garden when I get a chance.

The only other exciting bit of news is.... I am about to be an unexpected mother once again!!! I kept wondering why one of my Banty Hens (now named Mama G) kept insisting on getting out of the spectacular electric fence???? Come to find out she had laid herself a nice clutch of eggs in the compost pile.  Not only did she lay 12 of her own but she is a surrogate to one large brown egg as well. So by next week we should have some baby chicks...AGAIN!!!


There is so much to write that it would take me days. Fact is "storms a comin' " and I better turn off this computer!! Hope you enjoyed the update and trust me...many more pics to come.  

Happy Gardening!!




No comments:

Post a Comment